First, let me thank you for a great plugin!
I was looking for the ability to present gpx-tracks for cycling/hiking-tours. Use of OSM was mandatory (for me). So your plugin is obviously #1 solution.
But.. while playing around i stumbled over some kind of workflow issue (imho):
– i copy-paste my tracks in the fields of the short code generator
– i choose the colors
– i fiddle the map to my liking
– i generate the code and include it in my post
– i look at the post (maybe the other day, or on my mobile) and think: this map should have another zoom level (e.g.)
-> i start over at 1.
So my thoughts:
As i’m using gutenberg, my greatest benefit would be a block, with all features, in the block’s sidebar, with the ability to edit it anytime.
(as provided with way less features by this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/stepbyteservice-openstreetmap/).
Of course i fully understand (and support) your attempt to provide backwards compatibility and there for use one workflow for both editors. So next thought was some kind of import field for existing short codes:
– i copy my existing short code
– i paste it in said field
– the generator is filled with the before saved settings and waits for my adjustments.
Third thought and trade off between tho two above:
Gutenberg block which saves its settings in its “comment-section” for persistency and outputs just the short code.